Skip to main content

Observations & Conversations : Part 1 of many?

I kinda run on some basic principles when using IT -- it's gotta be free, increase teacher efficacy (modulo some smal learning curve), reduce time spent, it's got to digitize content and I have to be able to to work with the data to find meaning.
So every other year we get inspected by the Ministry of Education and her most recent feedback has been that we need a way to record evidence of observations and conversations in our classes -- and provide a structure for how they are included in the grades of our students.  Now we have read Growing Success (link to PDF), the guide to assessment & evaluation in our province and we thought we were doing really well with discussions, debates, Harkness, one-on-one conversations, videorecordings, student screencasts, Flipgrids, well, you name it.

But NO.  She wanted evidence of incidental noticings, conversations-in-passing -- those ephemeral interactions with students that build up our gut-instincts of what a student knows and doesn't yet know, and what causes us to pause when we look at a test or report mark that isn't in line with what we feel about our student.  Well -- this is hard to capture because it happens in the moment.  We're trying to record it after-the-fact, after class, after school but by its definition, it's in-the-moment.  And there are a lot of them; they happen continuously with every interaction with students.
Here's what I've put together as a result:
It's an app -- a very simple app that

  1. Allows you to take a picture (not required)
  2. Choose a student from the current class
  3. Choose between either the course's general expectations (standards) or the Learning Skills we also have to report on
  4. Assign a score of 0 (not scored) to 5 (far exceeds expectations) in case you want to use it for evaluation
  5. Write an open entry 
The SAVE saves the content from the screen to an Excel file (the picture goes to a Picture library). 
CLEAR resets the student name and score but not the Picture, Expectation/Learning Skill or comment in case you were working with two or more students on a problem and want to add similar content to another student.
X resets everything.

Now this does nothing more than do what other apps already do, except it gives me direct access to the data in an Excel spreadsheet. Once it's in Excel I can now work with the data; I can pull it into PowerBI, connect it to my markbook, etc.  
What I can also do is connect it to my student list and ask the spreadsheet my most important question:
Who have I missed?  Who did I not record an observation on?  
It's very easy to get data, and a lot of data, but it's really hard to recognize that you're missing data!  One of my biggest fears is missing something or someone and not valuing their contribution.  It's one reason why I use Random Seating & Grouping and use a checklist when asking questions in class so everyone talks at least once in each class.
So this is what we're trying to capture those passing observations & conversations we have with students.  Being on the phone makes it mobile & quick; students are already used to me using the phone for capturing content (see my earlier work with Learning Skills here).  Being in Excel means I can work with data in any way I want and ask questions.  Down the road, I can use things like sentiment analysis -- what kind of language do I use to describe students? Is there a bias present? How do I phrase things? Once data is in Excel, you can start to ask the questions -- if it's just in your gut, well, it's tougher to do.

Comments

Ryder Jack said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Makeup Junkie said…
Hi there!

I was just wondering what the app is called because I would love to use it for my classes!

Popular posts from this blog

So you want to hack your OneNote Class Notebook

Taking a brief break from my "Getting Started with OneNote Class Notebook" series (you can start that one here )... This is a little advanced so if you're not comfortable setting permissions inside of Office365 you may want to avoid this.  Or set up a Class Notebook to play with so that it doesn't affect any existing Class Notebooks.  Yeah, the latter is a good option. One of the great powers of OneNote is that you can do some really neat permissioning of the Section Tabs. When the Notebook is created, of course, it gives you an "open permissions" on the Collaboration Space and student-read-only on the Content Library.  And then each student space is wide open to each individual student. But we've found that occasionally you want to mix up the permissions a little.  For example, you could create a space in a student section for your private notes that the student couldn't see, or maybe you want a tab in the Collaboration Space that students cou

Desmos, OneNote & Replay

So using Desmos activities are a great way to encourage exploration and discussion in math class -- if you haven't tried them, I encourage it.  They're collected at  https://teacher.desmos.com/  But ... Desmos doesn't give you quite enough.  It doesn't have a way of capturing the work that the student does within their space, and it doesn't allow for annotation of class contributions as we come together to discuss.  Well, not surprisingly, OneNote comes to the rescue.  Using the Windows shortcut Windows-Shift-S it is really quick to snag the Desmos screen and pop it into a waiting OneNote page.  From there, we can grab our pen and (using wireless projection) talk about what all the different responses mean and where to go from there. (An aside : one of the nice features of Desmos activities are the way you can hit PAUSE and it will pause all the screens of the students working.  I always give them a heads up "10 seconds to pause..." and it's refr

Escape Room / BreakOut in OneNote

[[Part 2 of this article is here: Link] ] So when I was visiting  Anna in Edinburgh  during March Break, she showed me how she used Password-Protected OneNote sections within the OneNote ClassNotebook to help students check their work -- she set the password to the correct answer, so they knew they had it right when the Section opened up. I figured I could use this for Math Review, so I set aside a couple of hours (turned out to be 3 hours but a fair chunk of that was solution-time) the other night to put an Exam Review together for my Grade 10 Mathematics course.  I pulled together as many multiple choice questions and short answer questions on the topics as I could Google and tried to balance each Section with a mix of topics and then threw in a couple of pop-culture questions, too.  The students worked on the problems in each section and used the answers as passwords to unlock the next section until they got to the Prize section. Result?  Near total continual engagement